Chicago Banana

Personal musings of female residing at times in the greater Chicago area.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Best and Worst

The best homework can also be the most annoying.

Just now I was skimming an article so I could summarize it before midnight. Suddenly I realized it was about the church and its definition and elements, which happens to be a topic which fascinates me. But I was so annoyed that I felt I had to read it quickly. Yes, I could have started earlier, but I don't know that the problem would have gone away.

By the grace of God, I think, I have an inkling that I have been granted a minor respite. The online copy of the article is eight pages short (out of 45) and while I could probably summarize the paper without those last eight pages, I have a feeling the author put them their for a reason and that my professor assigned them for a reason. So I emailed my professor telling him this. I am hopeing he will blame the oversight on his TA and extend the due date and it won't be due on Monday afterall. I am confident enough about this that I am blogging instead of reading. Because in all honesty I really do kindof want to know what those last eight pages say.

But the point of this is that I get annoyed at feeling like I have to do a shoddy job. I think I just really get annoyed at feeling like I am doing a shoddy job at something. Like, why am I not hanging out with friends tonight? Well partly because I was at a track meet with them all day, but more because of homework, which I end up doing a shoddy job on anyway.

Somehow a good part of my life seems like a huge contradiction to Colossians 3:23.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Sarah E Stinson said…

    I was just thnking that! I'm so rushed to get things done that I don't do my best, yet I know that if the profs assigned less I would put the less off. I was shocked last year when I mentioned to a prof that I was having trouble getting through all the articles he assigned and he answered that I was reading them too carefully. Apparantly he wanted me to just scan them. I thought he wanted me to do it thouroughly. Maybe thouroughly and well aren't neccesarily the same thing. Maybe when God said to do everything with all our heart and as though we were doing it for him time management and balance in life was part of what He meant. I don't know. I do need to manage my time better though, or I'm not going to make it to the end of this semester.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Duchess of Hope said…

    True, but what a load of rubbish!

    After I graduate I am not going to speed read, I am going to read just for the pleasure of doing so.

    Growing up they taught us to read for information. Now we have to learn to read for concepts.

    When I grow up I just want to read to read.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger mark hussey said…

    Jil, I don't think a single part of your life is in contradiction to Colosians 3:23. If anything, you show a lot of signs of being overworked, and if you're not putting your best into everything you do it could be because you're too burned out.

    The Colosians verse says to do everything heartily, as for God. I dont believe it says to do everything with our whole heart. And I think the only thing the bible says to do wholeheartedly is to love God and then to love our neighbors (but it also says to hate them, which is interesting and important.) I think that makes a parallel to the work we do. If our family or our work is where we invest our time and energy that might be where our heart lies, or at least the direction our heart is facing.

    It's a frustrating thing to accomplish at Wheaton because it essentially means living a paradox, the academic scholar who would in an instant and without regret burn all the books in the world if so directed by God.

    I'm going to make a second comment about the skimming and reading for reading's sake because I think I disagree (we'll see after I start writing.)

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger mark hussey said…

    In defense of speed reading, specifically after college:

    Information is unlimited. It's fascinating stuff, and it helps expand our ability to think and to comprehend the world. That said, information basically has no real content, it's mostly meaningless, just pointers in a mixed up world.

    Speed reading or skimming is more a matter of sorting out what's important, what's not, and what's not worth the time of day. It's also a really good way to learn, but it takes a certain mindset.

    From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a book I've found to be very much worth the time of day just because it's so funny) someone says, "Everybody has their moment of great opportunity in life. If you happen to miss the one you care about, then everything else in life becomes eerily easy" It goes the other way as well so that if you have met your so called "great opportunity in life", you have a frame of reference from which to place all the contradictions and mysteries of the universe, or at least you gain an ability to look at them and ponder them without going insane.

    I'm not sure what all that means, but I've gotta go help someone recharge a phone or something like that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home